Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The exhibition at VALISE gallery (JAN 2011)



Almost a month has passed since my last post, but that doesn't mean that this gal hasn't had her nose to the grindstone - actually a better metaphor might be, her nose to the recycled cardboard, or to the beeswax. I was in the studio and on the computer working, working, playing, playing until an installation rolled out like a five-course meal. I had no idea that I was going to create a series of photomontages. They just emerged as I was searching for photos for the seed tray sculpture. Images of ecocide can be very painful to look at or they can be numbing. I found that inserting images of seedlings and sprouts, as well as remediating mushrooms, really engaged me, despite the fact that it seemed simple-minded at first. I found the images really juicy and erotic (as in touching that life force of desire). I'm going to post some of my favorites from the exhibition here. I'll also post some photos of the installation, including the story hive models and the seed tray sculptural installation. Eventually I will start posting excerpts of stories.

1 comment:

  1. AMAZING WORK!The contradictions of health and destruction are riveting, and like you say, make me want to look closer.

    ReplyDelete