Wednesday, July 7, 2010

First day of heat, sawing and screwing


Welcome to our blog about Eden Reframed, sometimes called Reframing Eden, an ecoart project for the Harrington-Beall Greenhouses on Vashon Island. Starting today, I will begin posting the progress of our project, and introduce visitors to the pleasures and perils of designing ecoart.

A little over a month ago, I learned that I had received the Royalty Research Foundation grant from the University of Washington. I was overjoyed, as were my consultants and collaborators. We are intending to remediate the soil of one small section of the historic site, while making a beautiful meditation garden, as well as an interactive, narrative art project about the miracle of seeds. While my main collaborator, Shahreyar Ataie, is away at a retreat this summer, I am building prototypes for interactive, sculptural altars.

Today I got hot and heavy with my new cordless drill and a bunch of branches found just off the path on our hill. My friend M came over on Monday and helped me drag a dozen or so branches out of the brush, and today I got out the jigsaw and began to sculpt these babies into altars. As dusk entered the garden, I started wrapping wire and jute twine around the joints created by crossing branches, screwed together. I'm not sure how each each part will interweave into a 3D standing structure just yet, but this is fun. What a trip I'm beginning!!!

I'm so glad that the weather has gotten warmer and I can stand outside without shivering. It's late, so I'll write more about the intentions of this project when my brain is less fried. Glad you're joining in this process by witnessing our adventure. Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment